Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Employees in the Office of Research, Transition, and Application (ORTA) aspire to create an inclusive workplace environment where everyone feels welcomed, valued, and celebrated. We are firmly committed to increasing the diversity within its workforce where everyone experiences a true sense of belonging and feels empowered to reach their full potential.
“DE&I actions within ORTA will continue to emerge as we listen and learn. We strive to foster an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are respected, valued, and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the organization.”
– Fiona Horsfall, Director of ORTA
- Empowerment – Consultation services to employees, managers, and applicants.
- Exposure – Recruitment and outreach activities for short and long-term recruitment.
- Education – Federal EEO Mandated training, Special Emphasis programs, and Connections newsletter.
- Evaluation – Monitor employment statistics to prepare reports for NOAA, DOC, EEOC, and OPM.
DE&I Actions at ORTA
The Office of Research, Transition, and Application is committed to implementing programs to embrace and foster representation and participation of diverse groups of people through:
DE&I Training WorkshopsParticipating in DE&I workshops to increase awareness and knowledge of DE&I
ORTA Strategic PlanIncorporating DE&I components into the ORTA strategic plan
Employee Performance PlansIncluding DE&I elements in employee performance plans
All Hands MeetingsProviding a platform for everyone’s voice at monthly ORTA All-Hands meetings
Professional DevelopmentPursuing professional development opportunities to learn best practices for a more equal and inclusive work environment
Notice of FundingBroadening participation in the scientific and technology transfer workforce by facilitating equitable access to our programming and other opportunities, including through the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program Notice of Funding Opportunity
Communications and ProgramsSeeking to establish communication and programs with the Tribal Communities, Cooperative Science Centers and Minority Serving Institutions
Insights and Highlights
Please follow these links to learn more about NOAA’s efforts to increase and improve knowledge and understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion issues:
- NOAA OAR Equal Employment Opportunity Program Office (EEO)
- NOAA Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)
- NOAA Research DE&I webpage
- NOAA Pride webpage
- NOAA Diversity and Inclusion Implementation Plan
- NOAA Civil Rights Office
- Administrative Orders on EEO
- EEO Requirements and Policies
- How to File a Complaint
- Disability Discrimination
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission